Saturday, January 12, 2013

To kick things off... Slow Cooker Oatmeal

I've been feeling lately that it would be fun to start a blog, and what better to write about than one of my favorite things - food? So, I'll use this little corner of the Interwebs to talk about food I make and how I did it, food I try and where to get it, and products I find for anyone who might be interested and for myself - to help remember things. Sorry the pictures are all at the bottom. Please bear with me as I figure out Blogger from the iPhone...

I'll kick things off with a recipe I made this week - Overnight, Slow Cooker, Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal from The Yummy Life (http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal). I adjusted this recipe doubling it for my large crockpot that likes to burn things, adding a heaping cup of raisins, and omitting the apple and flaxseed that I didn't have. Don't be afraid to alter recipes with ingredients you have in the pantry! Unless you are baking, you don't need expertise to do this. I usually just try to replace solids with an equal amount of solids and the same with liquids. It is important on this recipe that you use steel cut oats. If what you have looks like the oats you are used to, they are not steel cut. The results will be pretty mushy if you use regular.

The link to this blog gives some great tips. She makes a good suggestion that you test this recipe during the day if you are afraid the oatmeal would burn over night. Mine tends to burn things, so I tested it one day, and I'm glad I did! I have the big oval crockpot (whatever size that is) and I doubled this recipe. I cooked it on low (the one that says 10 hrs) and it was done in 4 1/2 hrs (she says 7). She does give a suggestion for making a double boiler in the crockpot that will let you run it overnight if your crockpot cooks too fast, but I don't think I have a bowl that would fit in the crockpot with the lid on.

While it would have been nice to start this before bed and wake up to breakfast, I just took what I made and put it in the fridge. Every morning we have scooped out a serving, added some milk, and warmed it up. I added some banana on top, and it is really tasty! It also gets the husband's seal of approval. Let me know if you try it, or any variations!



Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this recipe (or one very similar) & have wanted to try it for a while, but was also worried about leaving it overnight & burning it. Good to know how it works out in a big crock pot!

    ReplyDelete